A Stolen Smile

If I wrote a poem about a broken heart, or lost love,
They will all be cheering me up.
If I wrote about the struggle of an artist’s life,
They would be writing to remind me,
Of the good times ahead....

If I wrote about my disillusion with God,
They will try to help me to remember
All the blessings in my life
And all the many ways God’s face
Is showing Grace to me.

But if I write about MY BLESSING.
About the many ways that I feel so blessed
And loving in my life....
About the millions of ways
In which I see God’s face in my life,

They will call me a “fake.”
They will try to prove me wrong.
They will try to remind me
Of my limitations
And they will point to all the imperfection
On my path.

Why are we so in love with struggle
And so envy of the blessed?
Why try to rob the happy smiles
Of those who have it.
You cannot wear a stolen smile
On your own face,
Like a party mask.....