What's in a name?... Or about sleepwalking....


I am always amazed to hear, that some people, do not even know what their name means.

I always believed, that NOTHING in this Universe (Uni - Verse as in ONE SONG), is accidental, and EVERYTHING has a reason..... And that it is ALL good.

I already confessed that I love the anthymology of words.
I always roll the roots of words in my mind, looking for stories, hidden there.

Yesterday, we drove around the Sea of Galilee, and I feel inspired to relate here, my own personal story and the magic I found in MY OWN NAME.

You see, I was born in Israel.
Many, many people in my country, name their children after biblical charecters, or names taken from biblical stories, flowers, etc.

It is similar to the Indian culture, where names are often taken from the various Gods, and their strength and attributes.

But in Israel in the Sixties, there was a NEW movement of thinking.
Parents decided to name their children NEW and MODERN names.
Names like 'Light' and 'joy' and 'lightning' and names that are gentle and sweet and spiritual.
I guess they were also influenced by the Hippies, flower children movement.

My parents named me "Revital".
Which means "She who is full of the morning dew", Or even a blessing:, "May you be filled with the morning dew".

But in English, it means "To revitalize", "To refresh", "To renew".

But NOBODY EVER called me Revital.

I was ALWAYS know as Tali.

In Israel, EVERYBODY has a nick name.

It is as if "real" names, are way too long, too full of effort, not friendly enough.

So, if you really like somebody, you ALWAYS call them affectionally, by their Nick name.

Tali, is a common name today in Israel, used for both boys and girls.
It is not as new, as it was in my childhood, 46 years ago.
I always though of it s a NEW name......., not a biblical name..

When I moved to America, NOT a single soul, could pronounce my name correctly.

I once sent flowers to a man, and the flower company signed my name "Taki."

When I order at service counters, and I am asked for my name, it is a 99% surety, that they will not get my name right.

When I say my name, spoken loud and clear, people hear such a variety of names, it will make your jaw drop, in amazement.

It is the ONLY proof I need, that NOBODY, really even listen to anything.

People are so full of their own ideas, they cannot even get pass ONE sentence, before their minds start judging and compartmentalizing you and what you are saying.

Back to the name Tali.
It is a VERY obviously an Israeli name.
It is NOT a name used by other cultures often.

For years, Jules and I used to attend an annual Vegan Macrobiotic retreats.

You stay for a week, learn about alternative medicine, take vegan cooking lessons, attend lectures, learn the art of self massage (in Japanese Do -IN), and other body work workshops.
It is great fun.
We met very interesting people.

In mealtimes, you sit in communal tables, and you eat together.

In one of our retreats, we ate next to a Mormon lady from Utah.
She had the largest black eyes I ever seen.

She told me she had seven children.
She looked so young, I could not believe it.
She asked for my name.

I said my name is Tali.

Her already huge black eyes, got MUCH bigger.

She said she just named her youngest daughter Tali.

Now,... It was my turn to open up my eyes widely.

I asked her why would she name her daughter, such an obviously Israeli name?

She calmly said it is mentioned in the bible.... In the NEW Testament...
Not just mentioned..... It is one of Jesus' miracles.

I am seating there, chewing on a brown rice with Hijiki...... Mouth dropped and eyes wide..... Anticipation is churning my stomach....

She tells me the story of "The daughter of Jairus."

Jairus, was a patron of the synagogue, and he asks Jesus to heal his dying daughter. (Tali)......

As they travel to Jairus's house, a sick woman in the crowd touches Jesus' cloak and is healed of her sickness.
(This is called the miracle of Christ healing the bleeding woman.)

Meanwhile the daughter of Jairus dies, but Jesus continues to the house and brings her back to life.

His words, are what awakens her....

He said, "Tali, Takoumi" (transliterated into hebrew, aramaic or Greek as ταλιθα κουμ and meaning, "Little girl, I say to you, get up!")

Now, I am tearing uncontrollably......

You see....
In the story of my own spiritual journey of awakening,
The one that started MANY years ago....
The one in which I floated naked on the Jordan river! Looking for answers.....
I had some spiritual visions...
And in one of them, I heard a voice.

The VOICE, told me That we are living in a world of illusions....
That we are ALL just dreaming....
That we are hypnotically sleepwalking...
Like children playing games.....
Sleeping, but not really going through it all....

And the VOICE, called me....
With a deep resonance, of an ancient tone....... That I could NOT REALLY PLACE....

It said strongly and deeply:
"Tali, I say onto you, GET UP!
WAKE UP GIRL!"
Tali Takumi!

But I am not saying that it was Jeves,... (Sorry, I meant to say, Jesus)
I do not even believe in Jeves.....