Today in the Hot Tub.

I am sitting in the hot tub at the recreation center in Beaver Creek.
It is a large hot tub that can comfortably hold more than two dozens people.

I am the only one there when a group of a dozen teenagers come splashing in.

I am NOT looking for privacy,
Not hoping to find it in a public place anyway,
So I am happy to observe them.

Happy to see how they interact with one another,
How playful and free they are.
I am eager to learn..... Eager to remember.

They hug one another often.
Boy and girls- there is NO distinctions.

They see Nothing wrong with touching one another (yet...)
And they do it often.

They stretch one another's legs
They pull one another's arms arbitrarily,
They fall into one another's arms in joy
In Unbound freedom.

I am thinking to myself: "when did we loose this freedom and became adults?
When did we get to be so stiff? and physically exclusive? and cold to one another, as adults?"

The kids around me, are physically free with one another and share hugs and touch, AND they are also free with their words....

They speak their minds...
Incoherent and free..

One girl says: "my mommy loves me SOooooo much...."
Nobody answers her statement, and she is NOT looking for confirmation, she is just making a statement- not starting a conversation...

Another boy says: "Where is my bus fare?"
"I am here," answers another girl "I got you covered."
She reassures him.

"Hey, I can call my dad, he'll take yo'll home, if you want me to..."
Says another.

"You look like a chipmunk"
Says a gorgeous girl to a young boy/ guy that
Looks more handsome than Brad Pit...

"You look like a dyke"....
He retort and hugs her.
(She is actually prettier than Jennifer Lopez by a factor of ten.)

They are free with they words AND with their actions.
I am just happy to sit there with them, in that "human soup," boiling hot tub
and to remember how things Could be...
How they used to be... Before I became "an adult."