Choose now: “A wealthy man OR a poor man?”

I once fell in love with a very wealthy man.
Why do I describe his wealth BEFORE, I describe his character? his charm? his humor?
Because he wore his wealth like a suit of armor that walked before him.

He wore eye glasses that costs thousands of dollars.
He wore expensive suites of the latest fashionable cut.
He flew only first class or in private corporate jets.
He wore a Rolex and a large diamond pinky ring.

I KNOW that my FB friends who are mostly poets and artists, are recoiling while reading this.
But I try NOT to prejudge people by their failures, so why should I prejudge them by their successes?

If I can easily fall in love with a penniless painter, why not with a multimillionaire?

Amy, (Emmanuel), lived in Beverly Hills.
He flew me to LA every weekend to be with him.
During the week he worked mostly in Hong Kong, but also in other parts of Asia.
He owned 52 different corporations. Most of them dealt with manufacturing, imports and exports, investment and such.
All were on the up and up, all legitimate businesses that he managed and profited from by working 20 hours days.

I am NOT joking here.
He worked ALL day.
He hardly slept.
He was ALWAYS on his mobile, talking business ALL day long.

Amy was a VERY generous person. (you really got to be, if you want to handle real wealth- it is one of the laws of the universe).

He was generous with EVERYONE around him.
After his divorce from his wife (many years before we met), He “set her up” with one of his close friends.

After they got married, he “set up” her new husband, with a new and very lucrative business. He funded it and help him run it until it took flight.

He always picked up with bill at restaurants we dined in. No matter how many people joined us (sometime a dozen), or how expensive the restaurant was.

In his garage, in Beverly Hills, he had a brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle.
A large black new Mercedes which he only used when family or business associate visited.
A shiny Mercedes convertible which we use to cruise around LA.

For the sake of total honesty, I must admit here, that I DID NOT see much of LA on those trips.
I mostly saw the ceiling of his bedroom while lying on his beautiful bed making love to him.... hmmmm..... A mighty fine ceiling it was indeed........ a High ceiling too....

Anyway, you get the point, we were passionately in love.
On times, we only emerged from the house to drive to eat something....

I was madly in love with Amy.
I wanted it to work between us so badly.
But, I could NOT envision how I could build a life with a man that had barely left himself time to live. He worked ALL the time.

Work and his business commitments were his first and foremost priority.
He valued no other thing above it.

He flew back to LA from Hong Kong on Friday nights.
I flew over from Manhattan on Friday nights too.
We would meet at the LA airport, drive to eat, catch up on our time apart, spend Saturday together and drive back to the airport on Sunday.
He flew to China or Hong Kong or Singapore, and I flew back to Manhattan, heart broken every weekend.

Yes, He did make time to be with me when we were first courting.
He flew to Jamaica, (where I vacationed with my sister), to be with me.
He flew to Manhattan as often as he could, but our relationship was truly a LONG distance one.

With a sad heart, I ended the relationship.

Amy contacted me a year later.
I had a new boyfriend by then, but I simply HAD to meet Amy again.
We had so much unfinished, unsaid between us.... I felt as if I was compelled to try to close some circles there.

Amy said that he booked a trip to San Francisco for us. Napa and Sonoma Valley.
Great hotels, gourmet food, the works.
He also said that he had the ULTIMATE surprise for me.
Said he will NOT give me any clues.... I have to come and see....

I kissed my boyfriend goodbye.
Told him that this is something I just GOT to do.
Told him that I’ll understand if he wants to break up with me here and now.
Told him that it is perfectly OK with me, I mean, who want to stay with a girl who is going to sleep with her ex-boyfriend.... You understand that I fully intend to have sex with my ex-boyfriend right???....

Unfortunately, Gus did NOT dump me.
He went on to become my second AND third husband.
But I am jumping in front of the wagon here...

I flew to San Francisco (Gus drove me to the JFK airport).
Amy and I, had a wonderful time in Wine Country.
We ate fabulous food, tasted all the wines in the little wineries (I was able to impress him with my wine and food ‘knowledge’ from my restaurant days).

We had great sex and much hugging and loving time.
We made NO promises to one another, did not talk about the future at all.
He did NOT talk on his mobile phone all weekend, Was attentive and loving.

By the end of the trip, instead of driving me to the airport, Amy drove into the mountains of San Fran.
There, in one of the most affluent neighborhoods of San Francisco, Amy guided me into a mansion.
It was a beautiful home with vast, unbelievable views.
It had more rooms than any man ever need.
It had a Swedish sauna, a steam room, double entry doors to every room and a kitchen as big as a soccer field.

I was at awe.
Did he buy this house to impress me?
To show me the “nest” that is waiting for me, if I’ll decide to fly over and nestle there with him?
Was he enticing me to come and to settle down with him, in this golden nest studded with diamonds?

I felt my head spinning.
I could NOT envision how all of this is going to amount for a happy life for me....
Could I see myself ALONE in this beautiful mansion?
Driving to have lunch in my convertible ALONE?
Flying to LA to shop in Rodeo Drive? to do lunch with “friends”?

Could I “fit” MY LIFE? my dreams, into this shell?

No matter how tempted I felt, I could NOT see it come together in my mind.
I tried to imagine happiness, but all I saw was a sad little girl who eats alone, sleeps alone, touch herself at night, because her man, to whom she yearns, is thousands of mile away.... in Asia- working 20 hours days.

The house he presented to me was fabulous- the life- not so tempting... actually lonely and sad to be truthful.

Yes, I could adapt... I could make friends and invite them to be with me... but I probably will NOT be able to invite male friends.....

Would NOT be able to go on extended ZEN retreats or Buddhist meditation retreats that are so abound on the San Francisco’s hills.
I will need to be home every weekend, to ‘pick him up’ at the airport, so we can have some time together- or we will never meet.

So I bailed out.

With a heavy heart, I flew back to Manhatten.
Back to the arms of Gus, the penniless house painter, who later became my husband.
I moved to Florida and Gus followed me there.

Gus did not work for a living, in the four years that he lived with me in Florida.
Never earned a penny. I paid off his previous debts, his extended previous medical bills......
But he did help me, in doing art shows across the USA.

At our divorce, I surrendered half of my house and my savings, just to get him out of my life.
He brought nothing and took half.
A year before our divorce, Gus’ father died.

He left his warring children millions in real estate.
I did NOT claim my share of Gus’ inheritance, but I did borrowed and liquidated my savings to pay him off, for half of the house that I bought with my earnings and my savings.

I should have stayed with the wealthy, generous man who was kind and who ALWAYS benefited everyone around him.
I should have never gone for the “virtuous poor”
A silly little girl!