Can we all be poets?

The question was posed to me once by a cynical journalist.
This time, I will keep his name hidden, as he is still a famous journalist in the UK today.
He moaned that, so many people in the UK, seem to be dabbling with poetry and with writing.
In his opinion, it “lowers” the standards of the written word.

At first, what I “heard”, is the voice of a man that is fearing for his livelihood.
Fearing that if everyone is a writer, what makes him and his long and expensive private education- so special.

In today’s environment, almost nobody hires journalists any more.
The are “freelance agents” and need to try and sell their words to make a living.
I heard the frustration in his voice and felt real sympathy for him.

Despite what others may think of me, I am actually a VERY polite person.
I would NEVER make a guest in my home feel uncomfortable.
So, I said nothing at the time.

But I will do so now.

in short: WALOB !
What A Load Of Bullshit!

The first example that come to my mind, is from my own experience as an artist.
The best art shows I have done, were when the caliber of art was supreme.
When there were many good artists around.
I even once talked about it with art collectors, who told me that they don’t even bother going to check out art shows that do not have a vast array of artists.
They said that it narrows the options, and that it is boring.
They said they rather stay home.

The second example that comes to my mind, is the “Impressionists.”
What do you think made them so successful?
It was the fact that they grouped, that they listened to one another and understood that by giving one another “permission” to be experimental, to grow as artists- that they were allowing themselves the freedom to rebel and to flourish.

It was their spirit of support of individual styles, that allowed ALL of them to blossom.

Now, back to “modern days”- Why do you think that publishers are not so thrilled to publish poetry?

Because almost NOBODY reads it!

It is a “dead” media!
It “speaks” to the intellectual few, instead of being a vehicle of emotional release and self exploration that speaks to all.

It is attracting SUCH a small audience, that publishers are not willing to take a gamble with it.

But by allowing ALL of us to write, and to benefit from the spirit of sharing and supporting different voices- we are inviting the larger population to relate to our words.

If I could, I would have shared with you poems that were sent to me, privately, by people who are NOT poets, do not call themselves poets or even have intentions of doing so for “a living.”
They are earth shuttering in their power.... they are electrifying....... some made me tear for hours......

So, Yes!
We are all poets!

Talking about encouraging different voices, to be heard:
I love to watch “Little Britain.”
my favorite sketch is “Vicky Pollard.”
It is the BEST example of current and up to date voice that is funny and free and speak to a different kind of audience.
I am addicted to him/her.
(The other sketch I love beyond words, is with “Daffid”- the only gay in the village...)

There are many people like me out in the wide world, who will read poetry if we write it interestingly.
If we make it funny, or wild or raw.

There is room for ALL of our voices to be heard, to write and to share our inner music.