The Kind people you meet around the world

I am standing at Namba Osaka, holding a map, looking for a small museum that exhibits Japanese paintings from the 1800’s.

A man approaches me.
He has 12 words in English,
I have 12 words in Japanese.

He insists on helping us to find the place, but he does not know where it is.

He wants to take us to the local police station, where he can get instructions.
I do not want to follow, but I see the eagerness to help in his eyes, and decide to humor him.

It is pouring rain and he hands me his umbrella and plow forwards with Jules to the police station.
He is a fast walker and Jules can hardly keep up with him.
I don't even try, I walk slowly behind them under the protection of his umbrella.

At the station, he gets a Japanese map and exact directions.

He is on a mission now, and he guides us through the narrow alleys.
He and Jules are dripping wet when we finally find the place.

The man insists that I keep his umbrella.
He says it is his gift to me.
I insist that I should not.
I insist harder and I win.

He has never been to New Zealand, he said,
But he is sure that it is a most beautiful place.