I miss Israel AND Palestine

I remember better times
On that small sliver of land.
Times scented with rosemary
and freshly grilled fish with lemon and garlic
Sweet Baklava sprinkled with green pistachio
and amber colored mint tea.

I remember smiles
and Beduins dressed in Thobes. (long dress)
The women's had embroidery of beads
in colorful threads
At the end of their sleeves
and along the neck's openings.

The men's long Thobes, were plain white
or striped in grey.
I remember a time when jellabas
were NOT a symbol of terror,
but a clothing accessory,
A simple scarf to ward off the sand.
Me and my friends had some too.

I remember driving trough a country
that was populated with both
Jewish people and Arabs
with no check points.

I remember driving to buy produce
in Gaza,
because it was organic and fresh
and I could sit in the local cafe'
and exchange pleasantries with
the strong men with big hearts
and no teeth.

I remember loving their places
and visiting some homes,
where I would drink strong turkish coffee
and eat the BEST hummus
I have ever tasted since.

I remember eating it with a
torn, large, freshly made pita bread.
It was sprinkled with huge pine nuts
and drizzled with a strong home made olive oil.

I spent time under old olive trees
and looked at the arab shepherd boys.
I remember juicy oranges
and believing that we are truly one.

I miss my country
and not because I live in NZ now.

I miss it because I had hopes then.
Hopes that we can live together.
learn to love
and share,
and honor,
and be truly a brotherhood.