Painting sunflowers

I got this pieces from a young poet and artist and I wanted to share my thoughts after reading it.

This is what I wrote him back:

I like it!
I like how you hide meaning behind random thoughts and allow the reader's mind to associate and drift.
It is effective - at least for me it is

While allowing my mind to "drift", I reflected on how
years ago when I just started painting, I painted sunflowers. I did them in thick paints- it gave me comfort.

They all sold.
I was so surprised by how much people liked them, that I kept on painting them.
People kept on asking for more and commissioning me to paint them.

Eventually I was reluctant, but I wanted the money, so I imagined that I infuse each sunflower with healing energy and send light to the people that will live with them.

I know it may sound silly- but I needed the money and needed reason to continue.

Eventually I've stopped.
Refused to work in this style.
Told people I don't do sunflowers.

I did break the rule once after that.
His name was Patrick.
A sweet Irish man from Kansas.

He was diagnosed with leukemia and he told me the doctors say he has about 6 months.
He said my painting will be his last gift to himself.

I took it on.
A friend of his emailed me and said
that she wanted to pay for it
She was crying, said he is such a kind man.

Last time I've email Patrick to ask
How's things,
He was still alive,
still making jokes
It was two years and a half years ago.

Maybe there is something to the power of intention.

I am going back to the easel now boy, keep on writing...