Is it possible to make money from your art?

Anybody that reads my posts, know that I draw inspiration from other artists, writers, poets in my FB friend list and of course I am a self renown converter to the GT Wellington Church of creative thought; run by an inspiring creative thinker and a Documentary film maker. (from now on his name shall remain anonymous as he is NOT seem to be interested in converting anyone.)


So god posted: “My place in society is to act as a conduit for money to pass through as it travels from one government department to another”- Sigh.


As a disciple, I reflected that as an artist, I too am just a conduit for shuffling money between government agencies.


Even when I made money in my art career- I didn’t really made any money.

It was always coming in and going out for expenses and taxes.


Since nobody talks about money and art in the same sentence- I will do exactly that.


A long time ago in a far away land that is full with antibiotic laced milk and honey, I was a successful artist.

My yearly intake was $100,000 USD a year- from sales of my art.

Now lets start deducting:

Art supplies - only artist will sympathize - every tube of paint cost as if it is made from guts and human blood.


Art shows fee, hotels, petrol, tolls, van cost, frames, canvases, shipping, varnish, GST, income tax, brushes made from the hair taken from the butt of a still running white sable, etc.


By the end of the year, I would sit bowed head in front of my quicken report and wonder where did it all go...


For me, all that was left was about $15,000 a year for food and recreational activity like crying on the toilet.


Care to share your story?