I will not drink tonight- this is NOT a documentary and I MAY change my mind.

I will not drink tonight

Thank you dear,
But I think that I will pass.
It is awfully nice of you to offer,
But I will not drink tonight.

Tonight I wish to sit
With open eyes
and look around me,
At the human parody I see.

Yes, I know it is a party, and alcohol abound
But I cannot see a single happy soul around.

You see the lady in the corner?
She hadn’t gotten laid in many years
Still mourns the roads she hadn’t taken
When she was young and blondish naturally
She could have been a ballerina practically.

No my dear,
It’s awfully nice of you to offer,
But I think that I will pass.
I do not wish to drink tonight.
Tonight I wish to sit with open eyes.

My dear, since we are on the subject,
look upon this man,
He may be wearing rolex and he talks a great big deal,
But I hear he needs blue pills to get it real.

There on the patio,
‘neath the vine of blooming roses,
Sits a mother that just gave birth.

A healthy seven pound baby,
I hear them say the birth was tough
She may be smiling
But I can hear the panic in her laugh.

She is overwhelmed by chores and work
And sleepless nights
She’s teriffied she needs to find the strength
To raise another soul.

No my dear,
It is awfully nice of you to offer,
But I think that I’ll pass.
I do not wish to drink tonight.
Tonight I want to feel the pain around me.
I think I have the strength for that.