Journey to Asia

Our journey to Hong Kong and Taipei starts in Auckland.

It used to be the lights of Manhattan across the East River that delighted my heart.
Now it is the white sails in the blue harbour across the Auckland bridge.
I can take the Shelly Beach Road exit and end up in Ponsonby with a latte' in hand.

On Queen street, you can cross the street in a diagonal- imagine the freedom!
They will let you do that in Tokyo too.
New York will live another hundred years before they'll see the wisdom of diagonal crossing.

I love mingling with the tourists in the Viaduct harbour.
The tour companies sell overpriced fleeces to the shivering tourists - they did not know it can gets this chilly in New Zealand.

I admire the business women walking up Parnell Road in their high heels.
All tailored to perfection and with immaculate hair due.
They are powered more by their ambitions than by calf muscles

I love the many book stores around the city.
Love to chat with the homeless on upper Queen street.
I love the little dingy Korean eateries that dot that street.
Love to look at the pictures of the menu on the windows.

I love to leave my car behind and jump on the Link Bus when I wondered too far off.
I love to swim in the Tepid Baths next to the strong daily swimmers,
encouraging myself to try for more.

I love to shop at Lim supermarket in Balmoral.
I shop there for freshness and variety.
The African immigrants shop there for the great prices.
We exchange smiles as we cross paths in the busy isles.

On Karangahape road, you can buy Indian saris
or eat a whole vegetarian meal at Rasoi for the price of a cappuccino.

Oh Auckland, when I leave you behind for the green and quiet shores of the Hokianga,
I know that I'll be back soon to your exotic mix,
like a junky looking for my next city fix.