Ready Set Go



The second piece that I finished is called "Ready Set Go" (you can click on the image to enlarge it). It is done on a large canvas (48" by 60" or 1.2 meters by 1.5 meters)

In this piece I created the lines of a sketchbook page (which I actually do use).
I felt like doing some pieces in shades of white and charcoals, not to introduce any bright colors to them.
I always work in bright colors and I needed a change and some time off from colors.

I came upon this idea when I was back in NZ.
My neighbors John and Marilyn brought over some friends to look at my art.
They asked me why do I do the grid on the sketchbook paintings.
I realized that it is not obvious that I am trying to create a graph paper and decided to imitate the lines of a more familiar sketchbook with the perforations and lines.
I plan to use this new format for future sketchbook paintings.
I know that after a short period, I will go back to adding bright colors.
For now, I will only do the horizontal lines in blue and the margin line in red.
The rest will be in pencil and charcoal.

I did the drawing very fast and very loose- to create the effect of a real sketchbook.
I also smudged the pencil around the canvas and added doodling.