How I almost got scammed

You hear about all sort of scams all the time.
The Internet is full of them.
Almost daily we get notification of a fake lottery that we "won", Nigerian or Eastern European people ask us to assist them in "transferring" money. etc.
Usually I simply click delete and does not give it a second thought.

Just before our trip to India I received via regular mail my Colorado Corporate registration form, requesting the annual $150 fee and a detail of the Corporation officers.
The deadline was in two weeks, and since our India trip was three weeks long, we filled the form and mailed a check for $150.

Yesterday we showed a copy of the form to our accountant and she pointed out that it is a fake letter - a scam, with a fake Colorado State seal and everything.
She made us promise not to send any money to Federal of State, without showing it to her first.

I was dumbfounded, angry at my carelessness and frustrated at all the scamming people around the world.
On our way back, I mentioned to Jules that maybe somebody is watching over us and maybe the check did not get cashed or got lost in the mail?- but I knew I was hopeful thinking.

Upon our return Jules checked if the check got cashed and behold- a miracle!
It did not!
We called our bank and put a stop payment on it immediately.
Saved from a scam and a lesson learned.