An incident with a deer.




I just realized that I haven't left the house since I drove Jules to the airport on Saturday.
It was quite an adventure driving back from the airport.
The temperature was below freezing.
The I-70 was De-iced by salt and the highway's scrapers, but our local road up the Colorado river was like an ice rink.

Normally I am a careful and slow driver and this time was no difference.
I inched my way along the winding road that snakes around the river.
Suddenly a family of deer jumped in front of my car.
Instinctively I slammed on the brakes and proceeded to glide like an Olympic ice skater on the road.

Those of you who live or lived in cold climates surely know the feeling.
The brakes does absolutely nothing and so does the steering wheel.
Turning it to the right or left has no influence on the direction the car is gliding to.

I remembered that Jules told me to pump the brakes if I ever get into a situation like this.
So I started doing so and with the help of the hand brake, eventually came to a halt on the edge of the river.

I was shaky and breathing hard, but I did not hit the deer or the rocky embankment nor I slid into the Colorado river - I call this a success.

Today in the studio I continued working on the piece above.
There is still a lot to do with it.