Turtle ears

We are back in Colorado, but still adjusting to the changes.
The biggest difference is that it is totally dark by 5pm.
When we left NZ it was still day light by 9pm.
We would go out gardening by 5pm.
There is not much snow on the ground and the mountains are not yet open for skiing.

Before we left, I have mentioned to Jules that I am having a meaning crisis as an artist.
Thoughts about my place in the world as an artist, why and what am I doing here, were plaguing my mind.
On our way home at night, we listened to a radio program on NPR that centered around turtles.
Apparently a new fossilized turtle was found recently in China, with a fully form shell on his belly but not on his back.
It also had teeth, which brings up the question why did the turtle lose its teeth and why did it not have a shell on its back?
This discovery revolutionize the way we understand turtles world wide.

At the end of the show, the narrator mentioned that there are scientists that devoted their whole lives to researching turtle's ears.
At hearing this, Jules turned to me and said: "turtle's ears- do you hear this? and you are worrying about how important your role in life and in the art world is"

And indeed it was encouraging to hear.
My ego wants me to do big and meaningful things. It wants me to win awards, become wealthy from my art and get much recognition.
But do those things really matter?
Can I be content to have a life of artistic exploration that does not necessarily result in greatness?
Exploring my sketchbook series, perfecting my drawing skills, expressing current ideas and bringing into the world my vision of things, should content me.
I do not have to make great things.
It is OK to do things badly and through humility and mistakes, keep on improving.