Reflections on a rainy day

This morning I packed and shipped a painting to a client.
This is my second art sale this week and I am so grateful for them.
It has been slow entering the New Zealand art market, but now I am enjoying a steady and growing circle of collectors.

It rained all day but I did get into the studio and worked on my painting for awhile.
I am combining some styles by adding circles of thick paint to my artist's sketchbook painting.

Over breakfast at the local cafe', Jules and I spoke about how well it paid to fix the property in NZ.
After all the years, all the work and all the funds, we ended up with a lovely place in which to live and work. It is so quite and so peaceful here.
A respite away from a turbulent world.

We spoke about the fact that even having money in the bank does no longer offer a measure of security, as was demonstrated by the last month of financial crisis around the world.
Big financial institutions - fall like a deck of cards and how we cannot search for security in a world that offers none.
This world is transitory and everything in it, everything it is made off, is impermanent.
We have to learn to live with the insecurity, move with the time, flow with the rivers.
River rafting can be a very scary activity, especially if there are heavy rapids to surmount.
Every rafter will tell you that you cannot expect not to turn over or to not get wet.
It is likely to come out OK but definitely wet and a bit scared.

I may be an eternal optimistic, but I truly believe that EVERYTHING that happens to us, every person we meet and all events are designed by one who's only purpose is our highest good.
We are all beloved children of the infinite and we are NOT alone.