Fishing for compliments

I started my time in the studio by working on the piece I think I will call “Fishing”.
It is a play on the images of the fish as well as the young girls “fishing for compliments” and are a little pouty for not getting enough to raise their self esteem.

While completing the painting, I encounters a mixed range of emotions, ranging from satisfaction with the images I piled on the sketchbook to doubts and even a desire to flee and go do something else.

But I stayed in the studio and painted and I felt quite happy with the progress.

I did take a quick walk to the water pond up the hill and sadly observed the damages done by the wild pigs and the possums.

The wild pigs dig the grass and crash small plants while the possums climb on the fruit trees, and break all the tender branches and eat the flowers and any available fruit they can munch on.

Later in the afternoon Jules brought from the cafe’ a soy latte and some biscotti and we sat on the loungers and talked. I also read a bit about the concept of drawing.

I think the point that I find most helpful in developing my drawing skills, is that you don’t really draw images (horses, dogs, people etc.) you simply draw lines.

If you follow the curve of the lines, observe patiently, hold it inside you and draw what you really see not what you think a figure look like, you are on your way to creating a good drawing.

I went back to the studio and started a drawing of a man holding a plastic bag full of “white bait”.

Yesterday Jules and I watched a DVD of a kiwi cook.
We don’t usually watch cooking shows because we are vegetarians and it is hard to find interest in roasts etc.

But we did watch this one, to better understand our new adopted culture, the terms used and the tradition.
Apparently white bait is a seasonal delicacy and they are mostly cooked in a fried frittata form. ( a lot of F’s there).