Influences and naming your art

I sometimes wonder if an artist would have created better and more authentic art is we were not expose to one another’s art or to the knowledge of what is revered by the art world.
If we created art that is only influenced by our imagination or by the events, thoughts and emotions that we experience.

Obviously it is different for artists living in cities.
Those artists are influenced by other artists, graphic designers, advertisers, store displays and everything that compose a big city, simply by walking the streets.

But rural artists can be as isolated or as involved as they choose to be.
A rural artist can choose to live a life that is secluded, fully imaginary or in extreme cases, even delusional.

Rural artists can create worlds more easily or fall into a swamp of stagnant creative waters.

Trends do not come to you unless you seek them and are passionate in your interest to see what is making the world tick.
Of course it takes an open mind to identify trends and movements in the esthetic interests of the world.
An artist may or may not integrate them into her work even if she is fascinated by what esthetic changes the world is going through.

Today Jules and I started the day with a soy latte, a biscotti and a long conversation about our future plans.
After our talk I worked in the studio on the same piece I am working on. I have no name for it yet.

I heard a nice story of an artist that is throwing a “name assigning” party in which she invites all her friends to help her name the paintings she just finished.
I just sit in front of the canvas I finished and try to empty my mind and see what comes to me.
Sometimes I get a name as I am still painting a piece.