Day of drawing

It rained all night. I woke up to a gray and drizzly weather which really did not brightened up much during the day.

In the studio the mood was happy and joyful.
I can really see the effect of the free sketchbook style on the energy of the room in which I am working.

Since I am painting most of the sketchbook series, on thick canvases, I painted the sides with smily faces, symbols and doodles. It came out really nice, especially on the sides that are painted in a black gesso.

I started a new painting today.
I drew an exercise of a figure in a dynamic move.
The figure did not unfold well, but I persisted.
Instead of leaving the studio to look for a diversion, I pulled a chair in front of the canvas and analyzed it.

I don’t always have an urge to flee when things don’t work themselves out, only when the diversions are “justified”.

Today we had an electrician over to do some work for our new kitchen.
“Going to check on him” was my “justified” excuse.
Except that Jules was there to supervise and they didn’t really need another opinion.

So I stayed and asked myself questions with no critical tone to them and figured out how to fix the drawing.
It went well and I felt energetic enough to start drawing another figure.