Comic books

I remember when we were in Japan, my astonishment at how many business people on the trains, were reading comic books.
They come in all shapes and sizes in Japan.
From a thin full color magazine format to thick black and white that resemble a phone book.
The content varied from silly, mindless to violent, sexual, funny, action filled,artistic, educational and cultural.

I an not a big fan of comic books myself.
Yes, I can appreciate the artistic talent and skill that goes into creating them, but I find it hard to find the entertainment value in them.

But on my path of self recovery, I always remember how much I loved them as a kid.

I was not born into the computers and video games era.
When I was a kid we played social games in groups with sticks and stones, balls, and skates.
We competed with one another in running, jumping and swimming on the streets of our neighborhood, on the beach or in the swimming pool.

When I was seven, we were introduced to TV viewing but that was very slim picking.

In those days, (in Israel,) there were only few hours of TV programs in black and white on the one channel that broadcasted.

For kids there was a Saturday morning movie to which we eagerly awaited all week.

I remember that at the age of eight, I had to undergo a hernia surgery.
My parents asked me what do I want them to bring me when I woke up, I remember saying I would like some chocolate and comic books.
I even remember how much joy they brought me while recovering in the hospital bed.

Instead of smelling the infamous hospital smell ( a mixture of lysol and medications), I was in the forest with Tarazan or sailing into adventures with Tin Tin.

So where is the disconnect?
What have happened to me from the age of eight till today that I lost the ability to generate joy from comic books?

Now that I doodle and draw in my sketchbook series, I regained some appreciation for comic drawings as an art form.