The story of the Cracked Pot, Laon Cathedral, France


CA3D17FD-4E3F-440F-86EF-79AFA8E4EB91
50A0427B-7F54-43CB-9A2E-AD0A49F180EB4911A5E8-B634-402B-8F9A-553826CCA27F

The story of the Cracked Pot, Laon Cathedral, France

This is a story that was posted inside the cathedral in Laon, France.
Next to it was a small wooden sculpture which illustrated the story.

The Broken Pot
A water bearer had two large pots, each hung on an end of a pole which she carried across her shoulders and neck.

One of the pots developed a crack when she went to the stream, while the other pot was perfect.

The perfect pot was proud of itself, as it was always able to deliver a full portion of water at the end of the long walk from the stream.
The cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to the house.

The cracked pot was ashamed of its imperfections, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream.

"Old lady, I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you.
I have been only able to deliver half my load, because I cracked, causing water to leak out all the way back to your house.
Because of my flaws, you had to do all of this extra work." the pot said.

The water bearer said, "As we return to the house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path.
Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of your path, but not on the other pot’s side?
That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walked back from the stream, you've watered them.
For two years now, I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my table and have this beauty to grace my house."

Never despair!
Each of us has our own flaws.
In Spirit, we are all perfect, but we are not yet operating as if we were pure Spirits.
We're all like the cracked pot.
But if we will allow it, God will use our flaws to grace the world.

In God’s great law, nothing goes to waste.
Don't be afraid of your flaws.
Acknowledge them, and you too can be the cause of beauty.
Know that in our weakness, your strength is made perfect.