My reflections about Creative Blocks..

To some, artistic blocks happen when you feel that you are not able to write or to paint, when you want to express yourself creatively.

It takes many forms and resonates differently in each one of us.

Some may feel numbness..... or paralysis.... as if they do not know where to begin..... Or how to continue with a project.... They find themselves stuck.

It could be due to fear, anxiety, or just an unidentified halt of creative flow and ideas.

During the years I reflected on this subject dozens of times, and had many conversations with other artists and writers, about the subject.

I can start by saying upfront, that my previous conclusions were that there is really NO such thing as a creative block.

There are mental and emotional blocks that happen as a result of fears, doubts, pressure or not cultivating good habits, that are needed, in order for one to have a career in the arts, or to live a creative life.

Many working artists will confirm this statement... "Who has the time to be creatively blocked? Creativity flows in the center of all things.... It is the essence and the Nature of the Universe..."

This statement can be confirmed, by any busy, studying, practicing or working artist, who experienced it.

So why do some creative people feel creative blocks?

Well.... There is the usual inner notion of "What's the use?... Nobody will publish my book/ buy my art anyway..... Nobody gets me.... or understands what I say....."

Then there are a series of bad habits and wrong thinking, that you may have instilled within, or need to look at, about how to truly be creative.


The desire for "Perfection" and "Practicality," is a major block generator.
Do NOT expect everything you do to be perfect.... And do not be so practical.
Each one of them alone, can dry up creativity.

When you create, have a sense experimentation, and playfulness.

Follow any creative rabbit that runs into your path... Even if it may end up on a dead end road.... Remember Alice, who jumped into the rabbit hole and found herself in a magical wonderland...


Allow yourself to make mistakes and be wrong.
If you are too guarded and insecure, your art will feel frozen, and you will not want to do it often.

Remember that the artist within, is a child.
It LOVES to play.
The motto of the inner creative child is: "Hey wouldn't it be FUN to do this?....."

It never says things like: "Isn't it time you sit down and write something, you lazy bugger.... It has been weeks since you have done anything good..."
This is the voice of your inner harsh critic, NOT your creative side.

Never forget that a studio is a place for fun and STUDY.
Even if you are an artist for many years, you still are learning and finding out ways all the time.

Go into the studio to play, experiment and learn from what presents itself.

You must have heard the saying that painting, is "problem solving".... It requires of you to come up with solutions, solve riddles and dig within for answers to "problems and accidents" that come up as you paint.

(I can give an example of that, when I was working on a series of portraits of some purple haired, overweight Miami Beach ladies, lounging on the beach, with their gold jewelry and their Gucci bathing suits.

I painted one of the lady's eyes too small.
Since I painted them on rice paper, I was not able to "fix" the eyes.
So I decided to add large funky sun glasses, which solved the "problem" perfectly, and even added a true to form, element that I kept using in that series.)

Do not allow criticism to destroy you.
Opinions are as plentiful as the amount of people you see around.

Do not force yourself to be creative on demand.
There is nothing wrong with taking a walk on the beach... When you are "supposed" to be in the studio..... Maybe something will come up later at night or next week.

Give yourself permission to connect with your inner being through the process of writing or doing your art.

Do not be so serious and remember to play and be understanding of your inner creative child..... pay attention to that soft and loving animal within... Who knows what it loves... How to play and what feels good....


I remember some words, that an artist friend of mine, who wrote to me once;
She said that she loves to swim naked in her swimming pool, because it is very nourishing to her inner BABY, which loves to splash around and feel free...

This is what it is all about.... Nourish your inner baby, creative and playful inner child, and use your adult critical mind, to bundle it all into a finished product, that you are able to share with the world.



P.S.
I plan to write more about my reflections about the EMOTIONAL side of creative blocks.
I recently noticed the feelings that were generated in me, as my own fears rose and warned me not to write and not to share my writings, and how I struggle to understand and overcome them.