A letter to another artist

I just got an email from another artist in NZ:

Hi
Just had a look at the website and thought I say how much I have enjoyed your Sketchbook series.
I paint as well and took inspiration from one of the artists of the 80's who did a drawing style of painting.
I like how you see the process as part of the whole.
Leads people to become part of the picture and they put in their own portions to a degree.
I sometimes leave blank canvas to encourage the imagination of the viewer to ask what should go in that spot.
Here's a link to John Badcock's work which I also enjoyed.
Both you two have got me wanting to paint again.
Will try and dig up a photo or two to email you my work.
Are you still selling much work with times being tough?
I just lost work so I thought it was time to start painting again.
God Bless
xxxxxx

Here is what I wrote him:

Dear xxxxx,
Thank you so much for writing to me and for your kind words about my Sketchbook series.
Thank you also for mentioning the work of John Badcock to me. I have found some of his work online and really enjoyed it.

Nobody can deny that times are lean now, but I have always believed that a person can make his/her own reality in any economical environment.
In the past year when the global financial markets were crushing, I got some very large commissions and large sales.
My collectors somehow managed to escape the crushes and continued to collect the art that they loved.
I am always pleasantly surprised to see how personal reality can be and not as abstract and uniformed as the media misleads us to believe.

Saying all this, I do not make as much money as I used to when I was committed to doing 25 art shows a year.
I found that life style was wearing me down and the quality of my art was not as good also.
I live a very quiet life now, not very intent on making large sums of money any more.
I do sell my art often -and I am grateful for this fact.
I do bring in a good income, but more than anything, I am pleased to live a carefree life that allows me to be creative when I want to and allows me times in which to do nothing, travel, dream or be contemplative.

If you hear the call to be creative in your own life, by all means listen to it and create your art.
If you do good art and are keen on marketing it, I have no doubt that you will succeed at selling it.
At first you may encounter some resistance. As you are venturing into energy you are not very familiar with - selling your art.
But with time, experience, a lot of persistence and commitment, you will see results.

I also believe that having impeccable work habits and ethics are another key to success in the arts.
I always answer inquiries fast and give people as much information as they desire.
I spend a lot of money on packing supplies and pack the art really good that nobody ever get damaged paintings.
I issue refunds if someone desire them. I do the best work I can every time and without fail.
I usually offer discounts to repeat customers. (or I pay for the shipping cost).
I try and use the best materials, keeping the longevity of the painting in mind (maybe they want to leave it to their grandchildren).
I am always very honest and never ever pushy.

Well this is just a bit about how I do my business.
I wish you much success in recreating your self with a new work and income.

Warm regards and best wishes,
Tali