Back to work

Today I have spent some time in the studio reworking some of my earlier pieces from the series “The artist’s sketchbook”.
I decided to hang some new paintings around our house just like I did in NZ, so I can see the paintings when I am resting and reflecting, to see what works and what doesn’t.

I did not stay in the studio long but it was good just holding the paint sticks again.
I plan to spend some time in the studio daily now that I am slowly adjusting to the time zone.
Next week Jules is flying to Miami and I usually spend more time in the studio in his absence.

I have to admit that I miss NZ.
I miss the gentle energy of the green hills, the people and our house.
I need some time to readjust to the harsh Colorado sun, the arid mountains and to our Colorado living environment.
We could not have chosen to live in two more different places.
Even the people in the streets seem to move in a more determined way than they do in NZ.

I am sure that I will get readjusted soon. I love living in Colorado and I love the convenience of living in the USA.
I know that it is not a flawless or heavenly place but a representational hub of the whole human race.

Around the world, people are very critical towards the USA and the American people.
I find it unfortunate. The American people are a diverse group just as the whole glob is.
A melting pot of cultures and races.
It is a mistake to throw a blind blanket on such a large and diverse population and miss getting to know the wonderful and powerful souls that live in this vast and beautiful land.

The only people that adore the USA blindly are the people living in third world countries under poverty or dictatorial conditions. These people dream about coming to the USA and making a free life for themselves just as some of their countrymen have done.

This is another blessing of the USA - we take people in.
The USA takes on more people yearly than any other country on earth. (not per capita)
The official numbers are around 1.5 millions a year.
(The unofficial number including illegal immigrants could be as much as 2 million a year.)

A movie we saw recently on DVD called “Cocaine Cowboys”, describe that Fidel Castro decided to empty the prisons of Cuba by shipping all hardcore life time criminal to MIami.
America took them all and gave them a home without questions.

Emma Lazarus, in a poem entitled "The New Colossus," which is inscribed on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty tells of the invitation extended to those wanting to make the US their home. "… Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…" (Encyclopedia Americana, 1998, Vol. 25, 637)